Friday, March 4, 2011

French Fridays with Dorie - Savory Smoked Cheddar and Chive Bread with Walnuts

Here I am again, baking savory bread from Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. I haven't turned my nose up at any of the weekly recipes since joining French Fridays with Dorie, because they have all been interesting, tempting, and ultimately enjoyable. Our appreciative friends and hungry boys at work seem to agree. John adores bread, and he made sure I was making this loaf.

In France, savory "cake" is often served with aperitifs, but a lightly toasted and buttered slice pairs especially well with a salad. I could use an aperitif right about now...although I just ate lunch. I could use a digestif right about now.

Dorie's Savory Cheese and Chive Bread is made with Gruyere, Comte, Emmenthal or cheddar cheese, minced fresh chives, and optional toasted walnuts. But there are endless variations, substituting different cheeses, herbs, and nuts, and choosing from various add-ins, such as ham, bacon, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and shallots. Preparation and baking time totals only about an hour.


I used smoked cheddar cheese, chives and red walnuts in my version; unfortunately, you can't see the beautiful color of the red walnuts. There's grated cheese and little diced pieces of cheese, for more cheesy flavor and texture. Although I'm not a beer drinker, I think a slice of this smokey, slightly salty bread would taste great with a cold beer.

I'm going to keep this one in mind for picnics, cocktail parties, or as a hostess gift. And for John, to go with his beer.



This bread is very similar to another favorite savory bread I've blogged about previously, Chorizo, Sun-dried Tomato and Pistachio Bread.  This is a winner also - a bit heartier and spicier with the chorizo. Both are very pretty, colorful loaves.


And, If you prefer savory cookies over savory cakes, I strongly recommend these Pistachio-Orange Cocktail Cookies, also made with cheese and nuts.


French Fridays with Dorie members are asked to refrain from posting the actual recipes. This Cheddar Chive Bread is already plastered all over the web, but I still encourage you to purchase Dorie's cookbook. I've already prepared next week's recipe, a unique pasta, so I'm ahead of the game!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your bread really does look hearty and good! Hmm, for some reason I've never though of trying this bread with beer. I'll have to try that next time!

Kim - Liv Life said...

What a beautiful bread!! I just picked up some red walnuts at the Farmers Market and have been eating them out of hand, but this would be a perfect use!! Love the smokey cheese here too.... Nicely done!

Unknown said...

This bread was a great pairing with beer. I can't wait to try your pistachio orange cookies!

Cher Rockwell said...

Your bread looks lovely, but I am very intrigued by the cookies! Both look like they could become good friends with beer.

Adriana said...

Love love your loaf! The crackers look scrumptious too.

Kelly said...

Those cookies. . . Yum! Your bread looks delish!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Pretty, pretty pics, as always. :) Everything looks so lovely!

Unknown said...

Sounds Newfalicious. Okay, I admit that I have been waiting to use this for a while and didn't have the gumption until now. It must be the sazeracs.
BTW, we're zeroing in on the best of the batch but still lots of sampling to go.

Betsy said...

Now that it's evening, did you get to have your aperitif? The smoked cheese sounds wonderful, like adding bacon without the bacon? I've never seen red walnuts before. How cool!

Bonnie said...

Denise,
Nice post and variations on the savory bread. Thanks for sharing the savory refrigerator cookies! I love savory cookies...a few years ago I made a batch of curry pecan refrigerator cookies and took them to a party. They were fun.
You are ahead of the game having done the pasta already!
bonnie

bunkycooks said...

That does sound perfect to pair with a cold beer. Since we have purchased several types of Abita (NOLA beer) for Mr. B, I am sure he would enjoy a slice of this with a cold brew! I love the "newfalicius" word! You are stuck with that one now. :) BTW, nice photos!

tricia s. said...

Honestly had never even heard of "red walnuts" before. So interesting to read about ingredients that easily available in other areas. Nana and I enjoyed this recipe as well - there was almost no way this could fail for us but we agree that the infinite options help. Pistachios sound lovely and we are definitely going to try the cookies- thanks for sharing.

Lea said...

Oh my god, this looks as if it would taste amazing!
I love breads with cheese, and you're combination sounds great!
:)

Flourchild said...

The bread looks good and the cookies tasty! Great job!

Lana said...

Mmmh, smoky cheddar! That would have added another wonderful layer to this already tasty bread.
I loved the versatility and ease of the recipe.
The crackers look amazing - I like savory snacks:)