Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Morning Glory Muffins and Rock Star Newfoundlands

I love my two Newfy boys, and they sure enjoy our morning walk. They're such ROCK STARS around Coronado and literally stop people driving down the street. When we sit in front of Starbucks, a small crowd gathers and we proudly respond to the typical questions about the breed, what they eat, how much they weigh, whether they sleep with us, names and ages, grooming routine, etc.

But what I've noticed lately is how Dooley and Diver have helped people associate me with There's a Newf in My Soup.  Just the other morning, Coronado Mayor, Casey Tanaka, called over as he walked into Starbucks, "Hey, are you Denise?" When I replied yes, he said, "I read your blog!"  I also met Steve, the man behind eCoronado, Coronado's #1 community website and online newspaper, when he recognized the boys as we walked past his house one morning.

Diver, age 3, 150 lbs, on the left, and Dooley, age 11, 130 lbs., on the right...No, they don't sleep with us, and yes, they shed and drool!

 

While enjoying my second cup of coffee, which is usually at the office, I like to nibble on a muffin with my yogurt. I made the P90X Plum Bran Muffins, which were good and very healthy, but then came across these Morning Glory Muffins, from Cooking Light. They're not quite as healthy, but are rated outstanding based on five out of five stars by the majority of reviewers. They're also very accommodating if you want to make substitutions in the type of dried fruit and/or nuts to suit your fancy. Some reviewers used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend in place of regular brown sugar.


Morning Glory Muffins
Adapted from Cooking Light
(Makes 18 muffins)

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
1 cup regular oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (or 6 tablespoons Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
1 tablespoon wheat bran (I used oat bran)
3 tablespoons ground flax seed (about 2 tablespoons whole)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain or vanilla fat-free yogurt
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2)
1 large egg
1 cup chopped pitted dates (I used prunes)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)
1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place 18 muffin cup liners in muffin cups and spray lightly with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, oats, brown sugar, wheat bran, flax seed, baking soda and salt. In a separate, medium bowl, whisk the egg and then add the yogurt and banana. Combine well, and add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Fold in the dates, walnuts, and pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately and cool on a wire rack.

Nutritional Information:  Each muffin contains 186 calories (21% from fat); 4.4 g fat; 4.2 g protein, 35.2 g carbohydrates, 3.4 g fiber and 190 g sodium.


The Newfs also give these muffins 5 Stars!

Next time you see me and my goofy boys walking down the street in Coronado, stop and introduce yourself!  But please...don't ask me if they're Bouviers!

***

6 comments:

Michael said...

Wait till my guys move there, we'll give your guys some competition!!

Mom said...

Your Newfy boys look like they are enjoying their morning walk! The Morning Glory Muffins were outstanding and probably worth the extra calories - especially if you’re burning them off with the P90X workout. Nice post.

Unknown said...

We have a place in town called the Green Planet, a gourmet coffee; every month in the summer they have a car show & close off the road, we takeMerlin & Tiki (our Landseer Newfs) there & sit outside the place on their chairs, & its funny, we get the same responses that you get about our dogs; they seem to attract more attention than the car show does. We also like the gourmet drinks!

Cristina said...

Your Newfy-kids are beauties. I'd love it folks also identified my fur-kids with me and blog too!

I'm on a muffin kick right now and may be giving these a try after I purchase some flax seed. Have a great holiday weekend!

bunkycooks said...

I love your pups! :) They are beautiful dogs. I am sure that having two of them really does give you rock star status. They would be the only people able to afford the grocery bill to feed the boys! ;) That is great people associate your blog with your dogs (or visa versa). Very cute. BTW, I left a reply for you on your comment for my last post.

Taylor said...

Your muffins look yummy! I've got lots of dried fruit needing to be used...looks like I'll be making these soon!