Friday, December 9, 2011

French Fridays with Dorie - Stuffed and Wrapped Pork Tenderloin, with Herbed Spaetzle

I've missed the last few French Fridays with Dorie recipes, but was able to squeeze in an adaptation of this week's Chard-Stuffed Pork Roast.  It turned out beautifully, and very holiday-ish with the pretty colors in the stuffing.

A pork tenderloin is better suited for the two of us. I had some dried figs and raisins from Thanksgiving, a few pomegranates from Pammy's grandma's tree, and a handful of baby Swiss chard from the garden. Dorie's pork roast is stuffed with Swiss chard, onions, garlic, and raisins. For our tenderloin, I used shallots, Swiss chard, arugula, dried figs, golden raisins, and pomegranate arils. I also wrapped the tenderloin in prosciutto. John even found his way to the kitchen and prepared Dorie's Herbed Spaetzle, which was the perfect side.


I sauteed a minced shallot in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, added a handful of Swiss chard (3 ounces) and a handful of baby arugula (3 ounces), and continued to saute until the greens started to wilt. I then added about 5 chopped, dried figs, 1/2 cup golden raisins, a handful of pomegranate arils, and teaspoon red pepper flakes, and sauteed another minute or two.


I butterflied the pork tenderloin, spread the filling down the center, and then rolled it up.


I wrapped the tenderloin with about 4 ounces of thinly sliced prosciutto, rubbed it with olive oil, and seasoned it with freshly ground pepper. I roasted the wrapped and stuffed tenderloin on a baking sheet, at 375 degrees F, for about 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reached 140 degrees.


You can find the recipe for Herbed Spaetzle, here. We also adapted that recipe slightly, by sauteing the spaetzle in browned butter and minced sage leaves rather than mushrooms and onions.


French Fridays with Dorie is an online cooking group, dedicated to Dorie Greenspan‘s newest book Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. As members of the group, we have purchased the cookbook and cook along as much as we can. There is a new recipe each week, and we post about that recipe on Friday. We are asked to refrain from posting the actual recipes on our blog. The book is filled with stunning photography, and personal stories about each recipe, which makes it that much more intriguing. I highly recommend adding it to your cookbook collection if you haven't already!

9 comments:

Steph said...

Looks divine! We love Dorie's herbed spaetzle too...I'm sure it wsa great with the pork roast. I ended up cooking a three pould roast and just invited some company...plus we have a bit left over which I'm looking forward to making into sandwiches.

Adriana said...

I really like the tenderloin idea! Yours looks so pretty and festive - pomegranate is an inspired addition. I used pork cutlets for the two of us in my household and doubled the amount of stuffing as a side dish.

Nana said...

I thought about using a tenderloin too, but when a saw the cute little 2 pounder I couldn't resist. However,
the tenderloin is so much more tender in my book.
Your results look fantastic , and I love spaetzle so I
am going to try that very soon. Great job.

Cher Rockwell said...

Lovely adaptation - the spaetzle was a great idea for a side.

Unknown said...

Looks so good! The tenderloin was a great idea,more stuffing per meat! I haven't tried the spaetzle but will soon.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Oh my goodness! Yours looks AMAZING! Especially with that spaetle.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, gosh, you made this even better! The rolling and your prosciutto...plus that fabulous spaetzle. YUM!

Elaine said...

You stuffing looks so colorful especially with the pomegranates. What a great idea to wrap them in prosciutto!

Unknown said...

Looks wonderfully delicious! Love your choice of spaetzle for the side dish. Welcome back!