Friday, August 10, 2012

French Fridays with Dorie: Warm Scallop Salad with Corn, Nectarines and Basil

I've been looking forward to this week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe, Warm Scallop Salad with Corn, Nectarines and Basil. However, with our recent wave of higher temperatures on the island, I wasn't in the mood for warm anything. I should have just grilled the scallops and nectarines as suggested as an option to standing over the stove and pan-searing, but it was still pretty toasty outside when I began preparation. All turned out well and by the time I was done photographing, as usual, our dinner was no longer warm.

Warm Scallop Salad with Kale, Corn, Nectarines and Basil

Rather than pan-searing halved nectarines, I borrowed an idea I saw somewhere and made nectarine 'carpaccio' using the mandoline. I put the slices in a bowl and covered them with some of the lime-chili vinaigrette while I finished the salad.

Nectarine 'Carpaccio'

I also decided to add a little kale after recently devouring a kale and salmon salad for lunch at Leroy's Kitchen. I tossed the corn kernels and kale with more of the vinaigrette and garnished it with a few tomatoes from the garden. The basil coulis drizzled over the nectarines and scallops added a nice flavor.

Basil Coulis drizzled over scallops and nectarines

Trapper is keeping cool with his big fan and spray-downs with the hose. We're lucky to have such a nice side patio and yard with big shady trees, and he prefers being out there in the early mornings and evenings.

Mom, quit taking my picture so much!

Ah yes, nappy time...

***

French Fridays with Dorie is an online cooking group, dedicated to Dorie Greenspan‘s book Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. As members of the group, we have purchased the cookbook and cook along as much as we can. There is a new recipe each week, and we post about that recipe on Friday. We are asked to refrain from posting the actual recipes on our blog. The book is filled with stunning photography, and personal stories about each recipe, which makes it that much more intriguing. I highly recommend adding it to your cookbook collection if you haven't already!

10 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

I love the thinly sliced nectarines & the addition of the kale. Beautifully plated.
I love all the ways this one is getting interpreted.

Geri Saucier said...

I love your presentation! Great idea using Kale. Love the picture of your dog. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

love your nectarine carpaccio! :) we were discussing how we would have liked our nectarines at least sliced instead of left whole!

Anonymous said...

Poor Trapper needs an ice bath and a salmon popsicle!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Nectarine carpaccio? What a great idea and that would make this great salad even better. Bravo.

Teresa said...

Nice additions, especially the "carpaccio." We've only had a few really hot days this summer, but our dog gets a good soaking whenever it does get hot.

Rose said...

Lovely plating and I really like your nectarine carpaccio idea. Looks delicious. Best of luck staying cool.

Maggie said...

Those nectarines look so beautiful! What a great idea! Hopefully you are all staying cool - thankfully our heatwave finally broke. I'm wearing long pants without sweating which hasn't happened all summer! :)

loavesandstitches said...

Lovely presentation!

Betsy said...

I love the carpaccio idea! It's beautiful to look at. I'm loving kale salad this summer. Have you tried Melissa Clark's Tuscan Kale Salad? Check it out.
Poor Trapper. It's been a hot summer for the dogs. My Bella (chow-shephard mix -- big ball of fur) has been so hot too. Here's to fall!