Friday, September 28, 2012

French Fridays with Dorie: Endives, Apples and Grapes

This autumn side dish ranks right up there with the best French Fridays with Dorie recipes thus far in cooking our way through Around My French Table. It was one I debated about even bothering with tonight, but the three gorgeous ingredients, and its uniqueness, simplicity, and rustic look won me over. I prepared it as a side dish (it could also be a first course), paired with a pan-roasted chicken breast, and I polished off the entire plate, right down to the last grape. Well, Trapper did help with a few bites of chicken and apple. 

endives, apples and grapes

I used small Fuji apples and substituted red grapes instead of green and thyme in place of rosemary. I halved one apple and quartered the other. The fruits and endive are cooked slowly in salted butter, and turned once halfway through, until they are soft and caramelized. The endive tastes amazing after it cooks and retains just a hint of bitterness. The apples and grapes are sweet and soft, but not mushy. I really encourage you to try this with roasted chicken or duck.

Gorgeous colors

Dorie features the recipe on her blog, here, as a Thanksgiving side dish. She offers another variation, called Thanksgiving Squash and Apples, with wedges of pumpkin or squash, chestnuts, apple, grapes, and sage, drizzled warm maple syrup and topped with toasted pecans. I may try that version sometime, but I'm definitely adding tonight's version to my fall and winter specialties and I will never look at endive the same way again. 

If you've never put cooked endive at the top of your favorites list,
or if you've never even cooked endive,
it's probably because you didn't have this recipe to turn to.
         -Dorie Greenspan

Thursday night never tasted so good!

French Fridays with Dorie is an online cooking group, dedicated to Dorie Greenspan‘s Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. As members of the group, we have purchased the cookbook and cook along as much as we can. There is a new recipe each week, and we post about that recipe on Friday. We are asked to refrain from posting the actual recipes on our blog. The book is filled with stunning photography, and personal stories about each recipe, which makes it that much more intriguing. I highly recommend adding it to your cookbook collection if you haven't already!

17 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

The dark grapes add a nice visual contrast on your dish.
Somehow, I don't remember reading the squash version - but that sounds really good too.
Have a nice weekend!

Rose said...

I came darn close to making Dorie's Bonne Idee with the squash. It just sounds so good and I am curious to see if anyone makes it. But I'm very happy that I stuck to the original recipe because it turned out to be much better than I had expected. Like you, I paired it with chicken and I found that the flavors were really perfect with each other.

Diane Balch said...

Someone else used Thyme, great substituted. Yes, I would like to try the other version of this recipe too. Nice looking.

Kayte said...

Thanks for the link to Dorie's blog, I went back in and inserted it in my post as well. Oh, I like the idea of trying this with those purple grapes, too. I was thinking before I read this that it would be great to try it with sage or squash...thyme lovely. So many choice. Nice photo!

Geri Saucier said...

Your dish looks beautiful. I like the color the dark grapes add to the dish. Next time I make this dish I am going to serve it with chicken as you suggested. I hope you have a nice weekend!

Unknown said...

I like the look of red grapes. Since I couldn't find endive I used squash and chestnuts and it was amazing. Absolutely one of our favorite french friday dishes and perfect for Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Next time I make this recipe, I'm serving it with roasted chicken, that looks so good in the pan;-)

loavesandstitches said...

I made the Thanksgiving version and it was delish! I need to find some endives and try it again.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Such beautiful pictures in you pan! And I love the dark grapes which make this so rick looking!

Betsy said...

I'd never cooked endive before (just put it salad raw), but this won't be the last time. I loved the caramelizing. I agree this was a wonderful fall discovery.

Unknown said...

The red grapes look gorgeous. Beautiful composition! I could paint it...actually I would if you would like to give me permission :)
Have a great weekend!

Maggie said...

Love the pic of everything in the pan - yum! I did the squash version because I couldn't find endives around here and I would highly recommend it. It was delicious!

A Couple in the Kitchen said...

Love the way it looks in that cast iron pan. So pretty!

marilyn said...

lovely presentation. I also used red grapes which put a little blush on the other ingredients and looked pretty. I wonder if your's did not because you kept the grapes on their stems, which I like too.

Anonymous said...

Your dish looks delish! Love the dark grapes, makes it more dramatic!!!

Anonymous said...

I almost skipped making this one too but I just couldnt resist the simplicity either! At least it was a great one to pop in a pan on low and have it cooking away while I got the rest of dinner cooked! ;) Great job!

Teresa said...

Your version looks beautiful. I love the way the red grapes look with this and thyme would work well, too. I may be trying the bonne idée version on Monday, which is Thanksgiving here in Canada.