At some point during the evening, Mary Ann said “I can’t hear the music, the food is so good...”
What was once a casual Sunday evening in the park, with a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers, has blossomed into a full blown production and second job! With all the planning, shopping, cooking, packing, toting, setting up, plating, photographing, eating, drinking, packing up, hauling back home, dishes, more dishes, watching Iron Chef America, editing photos, writing the recap, and then starting all over again. Our tarp runneth over! Can I just give up “the law” and do this full time?
Who created this monster? Oh, that would be us!
Seriously, we are having a blast!
What appeared to be a challenging ingredient, melon, surprised and delighted the taste buds.
We learned Vodka and Midori complement each other quite nicely, melon balls float very attractively in a pitcher of Thornton Melon-Ball, Melon Granita with a splash of Midori, and Vodka makes for a very refreshing Summer cocktail (Vodka-Honeydew Bellinis win the Gold over those traditional Champagne ones), and Watermelon soaked in Watermelon Schnapps will knock your socks off!
In addition to the vast array of liquid refreshments, our Chefs presented wonderful appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts.
Our Battle Melon Menu:
- Jack & Sandra’s Vodka, Honeydew Melon & Ginger Ale Bellini
- Dean’s Thornton Melon-Ball, inspired by the classic cocktail, The Melon Ball, and the classic 1986 Rodney Dangerfield movie, Back to School
- Melinda’s Fresh Fruit & Yogurt Salad
- Melinda’s Blue Cheese & Kalamata Olive Bread
- Pam’s Watermelon, Feta Cheese, Grape and Mint Salad
- Kai’s Watermelon Ceviche with Shrimp, Scallops & Mahi Mahi
- John’s Spice Rubbed Prawns, wrapped in Pancetta & Honeydew Sour Melon Sauce, inspired by Doc’s Signature Trio, Doc’s Restaurant, Orlando, FL
- Rick & Victoria’s Grilled Midori-Marinated Chicken & Melon Salsa
- Denise’s Cantaloupe, Brie & Prosciuitto Crepes
- Brad’s White Chocolate Tart Shells filled with Watermelon-Schnapps Mousse, sitting atop Drunken Watermelon Cut-Outs
- Carmen’s Luscious Watermelon Puree Reduction over Vanilla Ice Cream
- John’s Honeydew Melon-Midori Granita Shots